So I decided to try my hand at wood burning patterns, using an electric wood burner/engraver and am really pleased with how it, the tree, turned out – the “HD” was already there, I added the tree,
I used a basic stencil for the outline of the tree, matching the starting trunk width with the HD logo, and one of the leaf-shaped wood burner bits to do the leafs.
The deck was then covered with clear grip-tape; which, although sold as ‘clear’ is really just opaque and lessens the impact of the burnt wood design. Less than ideal, but the small board needs grip, especially when it is wet out. Sometimes sacrifices have to be made for practicality.
UPDATE 29/10/17: I hated the clear grip so much, I have taken it back off. It showed up foot dirt, and gave very little benefit in terms of showing the wood and pattern, that it seemed pointless. The board needs grip, so will think of a creative way to use black grip, without hiding completely the design.
Not particularly hard, but worth taking the time over as there is no erasing option.
The underside before being varnish sprayed.